Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Birthday Makan @ King's Crab

(cake photos courtesy of http://www.pinkcakebox.com)

So yesterday was D-Day. I turned 28. Nothing much to shout abo
ut, other than the fact I was a year older, definitely a year wiser (in most cases ... shuddup SIL :P) and I am definitely beginning to think ... "What in the world am I doing with my life and what do I have to show for it?".

Yeah.


Isn't it funny how it always seems to t
ake a birthday or a wedding anniversary to sweat the big stuff? Or what in my vivid imagination IS the big stuff.

So this isn't exactly my cake. I didn't get a cake this year. Wabbit's not around, so we can't have our annual "sinfullyrichsilysmooth American Chocolate Cake" from the nondescript bakery in SS2. Aren't these cakes amazing? Of course, my lovely cousin and his significant other make amazing cakes - so head on over there to check out their stuff. Of course, their cakes are still beyond my budget, but that doesn't mean that their cakes are totally expensive ... just for right now, it's not something I can afford ... but trust me ... I've seen some of their cakes and I've tasted it before ... enough to know that they are truly master bakers. So enough plugging for Nigel, moving on. It is MY birthday after all. :)

The day starts with a surprise text from my cousin in Australia who NEVER remembers my birthday. So this year he did. And it was a brilliant start to the day. I say brilliant because his text awoke me at 4:35am. :) Thanks Adrian. :P Then another cousin from Australia, who also never remembers, texts me at 5:35am. I swear you Aussies ... we are 2 friggin' hours behind you wei. Then Mom and Vance calls from OK at 6:35am ... so ... there goes the sleep routine for the day LOL ... So I'm up and I'm getting ready, and I decide, since it's my birthday that I'd better clean up nicer ... so I mud up my hair and actually use my Issey Miyake, which I haven't used in YONKS and I'm careful not to overdose on it. There have been times, when even I wanna throw away my shirt after one too many spritzes of this sweet smelling stuff.

So I get to the office, I get my first Birthday greetings from my team member and we settle down for brekkie ... and then she reminds me that we have an exhibition to attend later in the morning.

Crap.


I'm dressed in my nice WoW T-Shirt. So I told her that the lot of us need to dash back to my place on the way out for me to do a quick wardrobe change and we'll be on our way. So the later in the morning turned to seriously later in the morning. And lo-behold, I have a flat tire. Apparently, today was going to be one of those days. Post-tire workshop and 4 x 1-1/2" nails later, we're on our way to Suria to park the car.
Chinese idiot in the Proton Aeroback with the registration "PDS 8127" White in color decided to smash his side window all along the right hand side of my car and sped off before I could get down to talk to him. Idiot.

Anyway, the day definitely got better as we strolled through the exhibition, had lunch with SIL, firmed up plans for dinner with the family (King's Crab y'all!) and we made our journey back to the office. The team really wasn't in the m
ood for a meeting, so it being my birthday and all :P I decided to postpone the meeting till the next day.

So we're now at King's Crab ... and here's the menu:

Fried Rice with Anchovies - yummy and not greasy. Light on the soy sauce, which made it possible to taste even the kacang botol in it. :^) definitely a good dish.

XO Spinach Soup with Japanese Beancurd and Century Eggs.
o.O
The XO was nice and light and not overpowering. The spinach was still nice and a little crunchy - lovely.

Guiness Pork Ribs - give it a miss. Total disappointment.

(picture courtesy of Ipohwav3.wordpress.com)

Dish of the day - Butter Crabs.
o.O
Orgasmic. Especially so with Man Tou or rice. I'm so in love. My fingers were too dirty to snap a picture and by the time I could, it was all gone. Ha ha ha ...

Ended the day with a beer and nasty wine at Dad's and Kelly's place. Totally fuzzed up in my head ... lovely dinner (my present from Kelly - Dad, mana present I? :) ). Finally went to bed at 1am.

Mom called me this morning to wish me again - she said it's still my birthday in America. ;) She's so sweet isn't she? And yes, a boy likes to feel special at least once a year :)

8 comments:

n i l e e y said...

ooo..happy belated birthday to you! Glad you had a feast!

Kenneth said...

thanks dear! :) he he ... it was a blast! Have you been there b4?

Ms. Redd said...

i'm hungry....
arghhh

i miss butter crabs...in other words...i need better carbs

Kenneth said...

better carbs? :P i'm making mashed tatoes :P ha ha and there's nasi lemak tomorrow as well.

Benjamin Lim said...

looks good... yum yum! :)

fatboybakes said...

so did you or did you not get one of the heavenly cakes? which double tiered one was yours? (wah, so grand ah, 28th birthday oso got multi tiered cake)

Kenneth said...

nah - out of my price range he he ... at the moment la. i am very ... 'prudent' i guess and i don't splurge on myself hehehe

Fiona-Jane Gomez said...

Stop it with the food! I'm hungryyyy!

Happy belated birthday btw!