Tuesday, May 29, 2007

From this to 'tat'.

Being hooked to Miami Ink is a funny thing. Never having done a single tattoo on my body before (yeah, kinda thought it was for those ah longs and all ...), I was always fascinated with the fact that people were willing to pya good money to have a little cartoon etched onto their skin for life. Not that it looked bad, it was just ... funny. Anyways, back to Miami Ink, I would watch it week after week and be totally amazed at the detail and beauty of a lot of the tattoos and I realized that there were many reasons why people get tattoos. Opening up my mind, and besides, they made it looked as painless as possible on TV, I ventured to think about a tattoo design that would incorporate a few details that mattered a lot to me.
  1. I needed a tattoo that symbolised my faith in God.
  2. I needed that tattoo to have angel wings to symbolise my paternal grandmother, as she's now watching over all of us.
  3. I wanted a way for that tattoo to be able to represent 8 people who are extremely important to me (I refuse to name names, because people tend to get a little ... upset if they're not included).
First, I found this off the Net and wanted it done without the banner. I really liked that heart and the wings - but I wasn't so crazy about the flame ... as it looked neither here nor there ... Now ... I was in a dillema ... who on Earth do I get to sketch me a nicer one? Asking Jerry, he said - let's go to a tattoo store and ask them for a quote and they'll improve on it. Jerry, being tattooed all over his left arm, proved to be a walking encyclopedia on 'tats' and I was actually getting excited about one. Then came the clincher - Jerry offered to pay 1/2 the price of my tattoo ... fuyoh. Talk about him being a big brother - chun wei. :)

So we went hopping around - firstly to Borneo Ink
in Desa Sri Hartamas. The place outside was fairly smoky - to be expected I guess. We walked in and was greeted by a little Chinese Aussie chick named Vanessa. She was nice enough and didn't laugh at the questions that I had. That was nice of her :D. She did however manage to piss Jerry off by dissing his tats etc and she had a load of other comments which made Jerry peeved and swore off the place. I wasn't however. ;D So I made an appointment for the following Thursday ... and gave her my design and what I wanted.

Next, we went to the place that Ms. Redd recommended in Subang called Xotic Tattoos. Wasn't opened on a Sunday, so that was
a bummer. Went back on Monday @ 6:30pm, wasn't open either and the dude didn't turn on his phone even on Wednesday. So kinda gave up that route. So I guess it was back to Borneo Ink. :)

When I finally went, was totally stoked as I wanted to see what he had
planned for the tattoo that I wanted and how he was going to fit in my 8 stars that I wanted and how would he modify my tat etc - he refers to the artist Simon by the way. and guess what ... he came up with this beauty. Oh my. Lovely no? Where are the stars you ask?






Check it out --- gorgeous - looks even better now that it's healing ... :D

7 comments:

n i l e e y said...

hello kenneth! i found your blog after replying your friendster mail.

that's a very nice tattoo :)

M00nie said...

Looks like you've join the tattoo clan. Haha !
Nice tattoo by the way !

Unknown said...

tattoo yang cantiks... but you should have seen the looks of utter pain on his face while getting the tattoo :) made me twitch involuntarily..

Kenneth said...

yeah? cos that tattoo hurt like a mother fulat :P hahaha ... anyways ... it was worth the pain ... damn da cantiks the tat ... :D

Ms. Redd said...

nyahahhaha
no pain no gain buster!!!
yeah mun yee...ur turn soon...??

Tini Zubir said...

Cantik :)

j u l i a n o h said...

hey mann...thats a nice tat...and yeah im so on your brothers side...i freakin hate the guys at Borneo Ink...if youre reading this guys...yeah...you suck man...dun go dissing ppls tats just cos youre great at what you do mannnn...some of your tats aint that hot either...