Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The making of ...

... this amazingly delicious (not my review, but general comments from everyone who has tasted it). The step-by-step below is for two giant bowls (imagine the Assam Laksa bowls at Little Penang).

So you kinda start off with ... chopping up 1/2 a large red onion into tiny little morsels. You will also need about 8 pips of garlic (or if you like the quick pre-chopped version, it's available @ Cold-Storage for like 8 bucks or something) or you can use about 2 tablespoons of pre-chopped garlic. Set aside in a separate bowl.

What happens next is I used 10 fist sized (MY fist ok ... so it's about erm ... the size of one of those HUGE Sunkist Oranges) Australian Potatoes - they're easier to peel, cook faster, taste better than the Russet or local Potatoes, but to each their own? :D I then proceeded to slice them in 1/2 and set them in a bowl of water. I have a huge pot of water boiling by this time on the stove that has been salted (approximately 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt) and is bubbling away merrily. There isn't an approximate time to cook this, but I generally take the pot off the stove and douse my potatoes in cold running FILTERED water (Puchong has some nasty water) to stop the potatoes from over-cooking when I can skewer a potato with a knife with no resistance.

The potatoes need to be mashed (I used to be very loving and hardworking and mashed with a fork, then I discovered the joys of the Potato masher or burger flattener) and for this amount of potatoes I used a whole cube of SCS Salted Butter. You need to mash this until ... well, it depends if you like it totally creamy or with some chunks in it. I like it slightly chunky, so I mash till there's like little bits that I can chew on. I added about ... 1/2 cup of fresh milk and mashed it some more. I added in salt and cracked black pepper to taste ... and YUM! :)

Next up, fry the onions and garlic till onions are translucent and garlic is aromatic and slightly golden brown. I usually get real hungry when I smell the aromas being released as this amalgamation is cooking. You need to add in the meat when the mixture is cooked and just cook till the sauce is just beginning to dry up and then add in 1/2 cup of water and let it simmer in its sauce for about 5 minutes. Then add in the corn flour / water mixture to slightly thicken up the sauce and cook for a further minute or so.

After cooking the meat, let sit and cool and allow the sauce to 'sink' to the bottom of the plate / bowl. Start the layering process with potatoes, followed by meat (drier) and then potatoes again. The highest level of meet should have sauce drizzled over it so that it begins soaking down into the lower levels ... and voila! I obviously didn't bake this as I don't have an oven YET, so no golden brown goodness.

No comments: