Friday, August 8, 2008

Wonder ...

I read this off a blog that I normally read ... and I thought that I would share it here and TAG a couple of people. I don't usually tag people and hate being tagged, because it's always some silly, child-like game. At any rate, this is a good one, it's NOT a tag originally, but I am tagging Ms. Redd, Moonie, FatBoyBakes, Nileey and whoever else who feels like doing it ok? Ok ... here it goes. Answer these 2 questions:

Three things that amazed me about adults when I was a kid:

1. They never needed to sleep.

When I was growing up, my assigned bed time was 8:45pm. I found this to be extremely unfair as all the good shows came on at 9:00pm. Needless to say, I wore out the stairs at home fairly quickly with the reluctant shuffling of my feet and occasional stomping up to my room. When I awoke the next morning, my baby-sitter and Mom would already be awake. It was as if they never needed to sleep.

Amazing.

2. Boyfriends / Girlfriends.

Coming from a broken home, my parents obviously had their share of romantic partners. Of course, my brother and I didn't quite get the concept at the time and took the 'intrusion' of these new, overly-friendly strangers who were the focus of our individual parents' attention a little too personally. Needless to say, we weren't exactly the 'best of friends' with these new strangers and some of the 'weeds' lasted a while, some withered like the dead wallflowers they were. Of course, 2 of them made it quite well, and both my parents are happily remarried now. But back then ... this concept ... of 'new parents' was something I found amazing in that 'people are replaceable'. Needless to say, I am a little 'scarred and jaded' in the 'marriage' department.

3. Cooking.

I don't think anything else will ever faze / amaze me the way cooking did when I was growing up. My mom and I would go to the market in the morning in SS2 and we'd buy all this gross looking schlops of stuff ... (I found a strange fascination for the glazed eyed fishes and wondered why the fish in my aquarium weren't all glassy-eyed ... he he. I was 7 - sue me :P) and by lunch time, there would be this .... gastronomical affair on our table. Still, in my life, no one's cooking beats my Mom's. Well, except my grandmother on occasion and even then only for a few selected Portugese / Nyonya dishes. (Yes, I'm of mixed parentage).

Three things that amaze me about kids, now that I'm an adult:

1. Love.

Kids' love you unconditionally. No questions asked. Take my little baby sister for example. She takes about 10 minutes to register your face, and then she never leaves you alone. She especially loves you if you tempt her with food. ANY kind of food. ;) My little cousins and all. When they were kids, they just adore you. Now that they're all grown up and all, they think that we're all 'too old to hang out with' because they're in college and we're all working adults. I miss the innocence of the children.

2. Color-blindedness / Religion-blindness:

Everyone is a friend (well, almost). It doesn't matter that you're black, white, yellow, brown, pink, green or purple in color. What mattered was that they have fun hanging out together and that they all enjoyed each others' company. Racism is such an alien concept to kids. They aren't taught to hate yet. That slate is as clear as driven snow. Adults obviously ruin this precept that they have with their own agendas. I hope that my sister stays innocent as driven snow for as long as possible.

3. Truth.

Everything is real to kids. From cartoons to movies. From words you use to songs that you sing. Everything is the gospel truth. When you say you hate someone, and they hear it, they really believe it. And they learn, by God, they learn. Watch what you say and do around kids. They are a rare, innocent jewel. Treasure the truth they have.

So these are the things that got me thinking. What 'bout you?

3 comments:

M00nie said...

haha .. tis one really got me ... i really can't think of anythin that adults amazed me as a kid ... will do it later ?

fatboybakes said...

sorry, how do i do this? on my own blog or here? aiyo, such profound questions.

Kenneth said...

he he on your own blog FBB :)